Sunday, January 24, 2010


On January 20th I had my first surgery! This was such a scary experience and I was really nervous. I really never thought I would need surgery for any reason. But, I am happy that my first surgery wasn't for anything to serious and that it went so smoothly.

About a year ago I started to realize how many different pains and symptoms you feel in your body from day to day that you chalk up as being normal or as growing pains. I learned that my body isn't working exactly right and started really looking into it. Through this search, and talking with my doctor, I realized that some of my pains might not be normal and could be something more serious. So with my doctor and family, I decided to go through with a laparoscopy, a surgical procedure that takes a camera inside your body and looks at everything.

This is how my surgery day went:

Wednesday at 7:30 a.m. James and I left for the hospital. My Mom and sister were meeting us there later on. When we arrived at the day stay area I was taken into my pre-op room by one of my nurses, Sara. I am really thankful that Sara was my nurse. She was a very sweet lady from Scotland, who really helped calm me, made me laugh, and took my mind off of the surgery. I had a different nurse come in to put my IV in. She had a hard time getting the needle in my arm. The first time she tried a few times and then thought the needle might be dull and went for another.The second time finally went in. My Mom and sister came in my room right after this. I was really glad that they came! It was nice having all of them there with me.

After a while the place where my IV was still stinging. I didn't want to sound like a baby, but I told another nurse, Jennifer, and she said she was going to move it because it should not still hurt. Once she moved the IV she saw that the original place had puffed up and said that if we had left it, all the meds would have whelped up in my arm! So glad we moved it.

Around 9:30 we started to get ready to go to the operating room. The anesthesiologist came in and started putting the meds into my IV as they wheeled my bed down the hall. They asked me if I was feeling anything, which at that time my eyes were just a little tired. When we got into the operating room I saw my doctor in all her surgery wear. It was definitely nice to see her familiar face.

At this point I can remember them asking me to move over from my bed to the table. They then asked me to put me right arm out and then told me to put my left arm out. I looked over at my left arm where they were putting it and then that's it. I don't remember anything else! The next thing I knew, I was back in a waiting room, waking up with a new nurse next to my bed typing things into a computer. I quickly tried to ask her what they found. She told me that everything was clear and they didn't find anything wrong! The doctor did find a growth that she didn't think was serious and burned it off.

After resting awhile, they let me go home. I pretty much slept all Wednesday. Any movement made me feel so sick which is the worst feeling. I think this was from all the medicines. Thursday - Sunday have felt pretty similar to each other with each day getting better and better. Where they cut had been pretty sore and has now started to bruise, but for the most part isn't to bad. I am on pain killers though! :) Most of the pain is in my shoulder. During the procedure they fill your abdomen with carbon dioxide so they can see everything. This gas later found its way into my shoulder which was where most of my pain was from.

I am so happy that it's over, that everything turned out well, and that I got good news. Family can really help so much and I am so thankful that my family was able to come down and support me! And, I have a wonderful husband that has done such a wonderful job taking care of me these past few days!

Sorry this was such a long post! I want to remember all of it! :)

1 comment:

  1. So glad they didn't find anything, but wish they knew what was bothering you!! Keep us posted and let me know if you need anything! We miss yall!